Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Get this thing going

Let’s get this thing going, yeah?


This is the longest I’ve left you before, I think, and it feels a bit strange. Words are a bit difficult to locate; how do I describe more than a month in Europe, living out of a backpack. How do I quantify the baguettes, the rounds of chevre, the bottles of Bordeaux. Or the days spent on trains and nights spent in hostels, the greves, courtesy of Sarkozy’s new retirement bill.


Exhausting, down to my bones. Lovely, gratifying. Absurdly picturesque. I’m between places right now, in all senses of the phrase, but those are some words that I can muster to answer the question everyone’s asking me these days: How was it?


I’ll miss France, but I’m glad to be home.


I will never take a shower for granted again. Or, as it happens, a stove. Or an orchard apple, or fall in New England. I’ve lived here all my life, but when October hit in Spain, I remember getting anxious about missing the trees, the leaves, the apples.


So, first order of business, barely unpacked and still with mounds of unfinished laundry, I made a tarte tatin.


Stay tuned for that, that’s up next. For now, these are some photos from Across the Pond.


Let’s get this thing going.

No comments: